Friday, July 3, 2015

1870 Census: The Faucetts were missing in Hendricks Co., IN

I haven't worked on my Faucett family in quite awhile. I also thought I had the family of Benjamin F. & Nancy [Clark] Faucett nicely settled in Hendricks Co., IN from their marriage until they moved to Indy about 1882.

A couple of days ago I was checking on Ancestry.com  for the Clark family. The 1870 census had the Clarks in Hendricks Co., where they were "supposed" to be. I had the Faucetts missing from the mix for several years. Suddenly, there was Benjamin 'Faucet' in Mattoon, Coles Co., Illinois! What was the family doing there? Was it the right family?

Sure enough, Benjamin, Nancy, Alpheus, James, Charley and Mary, The names fit, as did the ages, birthplaces, etc. Benjamin was shown as a railroad laborer.

After the Civil War, the family must have fallen on hard times and Benjamin found work on one of the railroads based in Coles Co. They did return to Hendricks Co. before the end of the decade. Youngest son Leroy was born  there in 1878.
y puzzle!
Another piece of the famil

No comments:

Post a Comment