Sunday, July 10, 2016

A Shelbyville Adventure

About 5 years ago, I went to do Crail research in Shelbyville, IN. I knew it would be a longshot, I was trying to find info on James B. Crail and Mary Jones - my most elusive ancestral couple. While I located a scattering of tax records that might have referenced James, my most interesting find concerned his namesake grandson, James Crail.

James was a veterinarian in Shelbyville during the first decade of the 20th century. I had found his office address in a directory advertisement some years earlier. The town had undergone changes and I wasn't able to pinpoint the exact address.

A local historian had compiled a set of books based on city directories that showed where businesses were located during the late 1800s and early 1900s. Lo and behold, Dr. Crail's veterinary surgery was shown in one of the books. He was conveniently located between a butcher shop and a livery stable.

No comments:

Post a Comment