Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Focus! Focus! Focus!

Realtors claim the 3 most important things in making a sale are "location, location, location." I think for genealogists, it's "focus, focus, focus."

No matter whether you are on researching in a library, courthouse, archives or online - stay focused!
I have been working on several families recently and focus has been waning. I'll be working on one family, then jump to another and back. It finally dawned on me to get one family wrapped up and then work on another one.

That is one thing I really miss about the now-defunct Problem Solving track at the Salt Lake Institute.The format required you to submit ONE project and focus on that project for five days. Even if you reached a dead end and had to deviate from the plan, you still stayed focused on one or two options in your research plan.

So, that's my advice to you fellow researchers - FOCUS on one task at a time. Design your research plan and stick to it! Don't lose time bouncing from one item to another! 

No comments:

Post a Comment