Friday, August 25, 2017

Birthdays and Anniversaries

😜August 25th was the birthday of my Mom, Ruthjane McHugh Prall [1921] and paternal grandmother, Mayme Faucett Prall [1885]. Mom would have been a very feisty 96 today. It was Grandma's 132nd birthday.

August 23rd was my folks wedding anniversary. Hugh Prall and Ruthjane McHugh were married 77 years ago, in 1940. There was always an element of good-natured humor in the household, except when Mom uttered my first, middle and last name. Then it was time to stop whatever I was up to!

As my uncle, Charles "Mutt" McHugh often told me, I was very lucky to have them as my parents.

Grandma was the only grandparent I have clear memories of. [My paternal grandfather died in 1939; Mom's mother in 1952, her dad in 1954.] She died in 1960, when I was nine. Grandma babysat me from time-to-time. Her last years were spent at the Linwood Apartments, at Pleasant Run Pkwy and Linwood Ave. The complex had a big yard and was near Pleasant Run Creek with plenty of room for a prospective cowboy-gunfighter to roam. Her brother-in-law, Clint Pentzer, would join me every now-and-then. Great-uncle Clint made a good seven year old, for a guy in his 70s!

Happy birthday Mom and Grandma! Happy anniversary Mom and Pop!

No comments:

Post a Comment