Sunday, September 18, 2016

Occupations

I'm not sure how long it's been since I've posted write-ups on occupations. I'm going to revisit the topic for a few posts. Take a look at your ancestors and see what jobs or careers they held down. Some of them may be a bit confusing. Here's a couple of examples:

teamster: Today one associates a teamster with unions. Jimmy Hoffa, etc. Early on a teamster drove a wagon.

hooker: Not what you think! A hooker was a person involved in the rug making process.

I will put together a list of occupations and define them. If I miss any really unusual ones, let me know!

I'm going to start with the weaving industry. Many of us have Huguenot ancestors. Those Huguenots who came from cities tended to work in the weaving industry. There are some gems!

Time to compile the lists!

No comments:

Post a Comment