Sunday, June 12, 2016

Strategy 101: Deeds

Back in the mid-90s, I was researching my Hunterdon Co., NJ Pralls. I had ordered a copy of the deed index, but the deeds listed for Cornelius Prall Junior and Senior didn't fot the time frame. Taking a gamble, I ordered about 10 deeds with the name Cornelius attached.

The gamble paid off. The dates were the dates that the deeds were recorded! All of the deeds pertained to my two Corneliuses. Either they or the gents they sold land to waited several years before recording them.

Take that into consideration when doing deed research.

Oh, for you youngsters, back in the mid-90s, research was conducted via a thing called postal mail, by telephone and visiting the nearest Family History Center to order microfilm or fishe.

No comments:

Post a Comment