Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Following the Faith: Religion and Ancestors as They Moved Across the Country

Religious freedom, or lack thereof, brought a lot of people to the shores of North America. In fact, the movement continues to this day.

Back in May and June, I discussed several of the religions that were of importance in the US. I also listed the families that followed those faiths. For the next few posts, I'm going to take a look at the migrations of these families and how their faiths changed over the generations, if they did at all.

Quaker, Mennonite, Baptist, Methodist, Catholic, Reformed, Lutheran, Congregationalist, Presbyterian, Anglican/Episcopalian and a few others will be central topics.

There will be one reason why other faiths and denominations such as Judaism, Islam, Nazarene, Church of God, Latter Day Saints, to name a few won't be discussed. None of my ancestors followed their teachings.

I'm going to start with those that were followed by fewer families: Catholic, Lutheran and Mennonite. Up first will be my Catholic ancestors, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment