Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Making a check list for a research trip

I have an upcoming trip to Fort Wayne and the Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center, arguably the largest genealogy library east of the Mississippi River. My first trip to the ACPL was back in the late 1990s [I think], before the new library was built.

At the time of my visit, the genealogy division was in an older building and had closed stacks. I really hate closed stacks! I'm a browser. I like to explore the shelves for my area of research to see if I can find any gems. Filling out an order slip and waiting on the book delivery just isn't the same!

The new genealogy library is a great facility.

Anyway, my focus is going to be on the possible extension of my Land family. I used the ACPL online catalog to search the surnames, locales and topics I am interested in. As I found possible hits, I wrote down the title and call number. I also added a few books that might help on my girlfriend's family.

I should keep busy. I have about two dozen books or periodicals to investigate.

I will also have my I-pad with my RootsMagic program, if needed. The last step will be collecting change to feed the copy machines.

I have mentioned the steps for going to a research facility in other posts, so consider this a review.
1) Search the online catalog
2) Make a list of sources to check
3) Gather your research materials and money
4) Go and have fun

Also: make sure the facility is open!

No comments:

Post a Comment