Sunday, May 3, 2015

Wrapping up the Genealogy Research + R&R Trip

2003 was the last true combination research and sightseeing trip. Since then, it's generally been one or the other. I also attended the FGS Conference in Orlando, FL that year. 2004 was a stay close to home summer thanks to a quartet of hurricanes. In 2005 I attended the NGS Conference in Nashville, TN.

2006 marked the FGS Conference in Boston, MA. The NE HisGen Society library was open extended hours for attendees. I took advantage of the opportunity one evening and had a brief session with noted genealogist Gary Boyd Roberts. I was also able to track down crucial information on the Zachariah Rhodes "lost at sea" incident.

The magical resource was a photocopy book of Frederick A. Holden's Family Record or journal of facts of the Holden Family in America, 1852-1910: from Randall Holden about 1636 to the present time. Volume VII. [New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston, Massachusetts, 1989] The book gave the name of the ship Captain Rhodes sailed from Baltimore [Hannah] & the date she left port [14 August 1815]. The information provided on Zachariah's wife was incorrect - Harriet Shepperd.

2007 saw me traveling to Fort Wayne, IN for the NGS Conference. I did do some research at the Allen County Public Library and stopped off in Marion [Grant Co.] to do some Prall research. I visited the Herbst Thrailkill Cemetery where my great-grandparents are buried and what is left of the town of Herbst [the Methodist Church and a couple of housing editions] where the ggp lived for awhile. I attended a AAA baseball game and visited family in Indy. I also made the decision to "move back home."

Guidelines for the Genealogy R&R Trip:
1. Select your research destination and the schedules of local research venues.
2. Pick your museums, historic sites, etc.
3.Set your schedule.
4. Have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment