Monday, May 4, 2015

Trips Not Taken -Yet, Hopefully

To officially put the wraps on the Research & Recreation trips topic, I'm going to look into the future! These are trips not yet taken, but I hope to plan and execute one day.

International:
(1) Ireland: My primary destinations would be County Cork, where Catherine O'Neil Crail was born, and County Donegal, home to my McHugh family. I would hit the primary research facilities and visit local sights. A train trip from Cork to Donegal would be fun. Ulster might be another stop, if I could prove the Mahurins were in Northern Ireland before coming to Massachusetts.

(2) Wales: Merionethshire would be the main destination. Research and wandering around Fron Goch and other locales key to my Rogers, Evans and Pugh families. A couple of other destinations might be on the list, pending on research findings.

(3) Scotland: I would love to make a return trip to Scotland. This time I would have a few target families: MacCallum, Cunningham and Douglas for starters. A bit of research in Edinburgh to start with, then go where the research takes me!

(4) Switzerland: The canton of Zurich would be my destination. There I would be visiting and researching in the towns of Nurensdorf and Bassendorf to learn more about the Rinkers.

(5) England: Too much territory and too many families to deal with! I estimate that 70-80% of my ancestors hailed from England. I would guess that Hampshire would be the first stop. Come to think of it, England might have to be converted into 3-4 trips.

(6) Germany: A lot of additional research would be needed to find out where most of my German families came from. Wittenberg [Trisler], Baden [Wager, Laubscher] and Westphalia [Rittenhouse] would be on the list.

(7) The Netherlands: Leiden, Heerde and Zutphin figure into my Dutch ancestry and some of my Huguenot, Walloon and Pilgrim heritage. Leiden would be the primary stop for research and sightseeing.

OK, that's a good start. Now all I have to do is plan and finance the trips. Six of the seven would call for about 2 weeks each. England, maybe 3-4 months. Allowing for extra time, a year overseas should do it! :)-

Domestic:

(1) Rhodes Island is at the top of the list. Plenty of families to research.

(2) New York: I've been to part of the state before. NY City and Onondaga County would be Simmons research destinations. Plenty of places to see in the Big Apple and nearby.

(3) Virginia: I really need to conduct onsite research on several Virginia families [Land, Gulley, Barlow and  Sumter], so a trip to Richmond and pertinent counties would be in order.

(4) Missouri: Madison [Wager, Laubscher] and Jo Daviess [McHugh] Counties would be in order.

(5) Massachusetts: Boston, Danvers, Salem, Plymouth, the list goes on and on. Each stop would offer research venues and historic sites! Most of those English families started out in Massachusetts. A month might cover it!

I've probably left out a few places that I need to visit. Several local day trips are needed as well. Those would most likely be research only: Campbell-Kenton Counties, KY, Cincinnati public library, Henry, Bartholomew, Miami and Jackson Counties, IN.

About 10 years and a couple of million dollars should cover the trips.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment