Monday, February 9, 2015

A New Find and Genealogy Block

I think I am about recovered from a serious bout of 'Genealogy Block.' I just haven't found the time or motivation to post blogs over the last couple of months. Research efforts have been a bit lax as well.

My annual trip to the Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy didn't provide the necessary motivation either. I took the class on "Digging Deeper into New England Research" with Josh Taylor. Since this was a "classroom experience," library time was limited. The course was extremely interesting and beneficial, as I have numerous New England ancestors [Massachusetts, Connecticut & Rhode Island.]

I'm used to spending my SLIG week with the Problem Solving track. Having two hours of classroom time and the rest of the day researching grows on you. Fortunately, SLIG is bringing back Problem Solving next year. Hooray! It will be nice to get back into the "normal routine."

I will post the 2016 SLIG tracks later this week.

Getting over my genealogy block came with a chance "find." I was searching to see if the WWW held any data on my Simmons, Jennison or Twiss families. I came across a link on Find a Grave to John William and Dolly [Jennison] Simmons. Lo and behold, I was looking at a photo of John W.  and Dolly from the mid-1850s! Photos for either side of my family pre-dating 1900 are few and far between, this is a terrific find. [photo courtesy of Douglas Bean - 10/10/2014] Thanks for posting the photo Doug!
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=137050901



No comments:

Post a Comment