Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Ancestors on Opposite Sides of the Fence

I discovered some time ago that one of my Welsh Quaker lines descended from King John. If you are not familiar with King John, he was forced by English barons to sign the Magna Carta in 1215. The Magna Carta limited the power of the King. John was a bit of a stinker as kings went. For fictional references rent Robin Hood [either Errol Flynn or Disney version] on DVD.

In trolling for incomplete families, I came across a link to Audrey Barlow, wife of William Almy, "Descents from Magna Carta Sureties to Audrey [Barlow] Almy." It seems as though Audrey was descended from two of the barons who confronted King John back in 1215.

I will have to investigate to see if this lineage pans out. Audrey is also supposed to be a descendant of Charlemagne! The last time I recall a supposed descendant of Charlemagne in the family tree, the research was called into question by a noted NEHGS researcher/author. The connections were a bit of a stretch.

So, I will do some more work on Audrey and report the findings, be they positive or negative.

No comments:

Post a Comment