Sunday, June 7, 2015

Family Photos: Introduction

I will be posting a few family photos and giving some background on them over the next few days. Unfortunately, neither side of the family had much of a selection stored up over the years. Most of my ancestral photo collection is set in stone - the types used for cemetery markers.

On the paternal side, one of my cousins e-mailed a handful of photos about 10-12 years ago. These photos ranged from about 1911 to the late 1930s. There are a couple of gems in the collection. Nothing earlier has survived.

My maternal side did a little better job on saving photos. I have one from the 1890s. There are a few pre-1930 photos. One recent find dates back to the 1850s. The photo that I have heard about, but has never been located, is of my great-great-grandfather, Aaron Crail, and his brother, John. They were in uniform and getting ready to serve in the Civil War. I would give my eye teeth to see that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment