Thursday, June 11, 2015

Family Photos #3: The Crails from "Picturesque Shelbyville"

While I was researching my Crail family in Shelbyville several years ago, I looked through the local history books as well as other resources. The true gem that I came across was a book entitled Picturesque Shelbyville. James Crail was a member of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War and belonged to the local chapter in Shelbyville, as was his son Harry. There was also a women's auxillary.  Mima Crail and eldest daughter, Pansy Nell were members of that organization. The book included a group photo of both the SUVCW members and the women's auxiliary. This gave me pictures of my great-grandfather and great-grandmother, Uncle Harry and Aunt Pans that I would not have otherwise had access to from 1902.  Dr. James Crail was 43, Harry was 16, Mima was 43 and Pansy Nell was 15. Be sure to browse through the local histories at the libraries, you never know who may show up!!

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment