Thursday, April 23, 2015

William Wolary and his family

WOLARY: William Wolary was the middle of nine children born to Henry and Elizabeth [Rogers] Wolary and the last born in the Back Creek Valley of Virginia. He married Sarah Hubbard in Fayette Co., Ohio in 1841 and then settled in Clinton Co. The Wolarys moved to Grant Co., Indiana during the early 1850s.

Locating William in 1860 had been quite an adventure. I had checked just about every spelling variation of the surname that had been recorded: Wolary with two Os, two Ls, twin Os and Ls, E in place of A, etc. I neglected one variant - ULLERY. And that was the name under which William was enumerated. Some of Sarah's sisters and their families had migrated to the Grant County area, thus attracting the Wolary clan. Remember, check ALL of the possible spellings and follow the siblings!

Sometime between 1860 and 1863, Sarah Hubbard Wolary died. William took his brood of five children back to Ohio.

Sarah's half-sister, Sina, had fallen for Jacob Davis. Davis enlisted in the Union Army and was killed during the war. Sina was left with an infant son named Peter.

William and Sina married in January 1864. They added a son James to the mix. The family lived in Highland and Auglaize Counties through the 1870s. William moved them to Logan Co. by 1880. The family was in Shelby Co. when William died in 1894. Sina died in Logan Co. in 1904, but was buried in Hardin County.

3 comments:

  1. Terry, do you have any further information on Jacob Davis? Sina and Jacob's son, Peter, is my great great grandfather and I cannot seem to trace his line any further because I don't know who Jacob's parents were. Any information would be helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kara, See post for 8/17. I located some info on Jacob. Email me at tdprall@att.net for sources and some ideas.

      Delete
  2. Kara,
    Sorry for the delay. Contact me at tdprall@att.net, I believe I can provide some help.
    Terry

    ReplyDelete