Thursday, April 30, 2015

A Week in Connecticut: Summer 2000

My on-site New England research is lacking. In 2000 I flew to Hartford to spend a week in July visiting venues for information and checking out places where the ancestors lived. Stops: Hartford, New London and Stamford. Three cities in five days!

Hartford: The Connecticut state capital was a combination of research and sightseeing. The State Library was the research site. I was able to make copies of the court cases involving Hannah Wakeman Hackleton [see earlier posts on Hannah for details on her adventures] and gather bits and pieces on other families, such as the Olmsteads and St. Johns. I wandered the streets of Hartford to take in a few historic sites, including the Ancient Burial Ground, home to the Founders Monument [including John Olmstead], and the John Winthrop, Jr. Monument to name a few. Visiting the Winthrop statue was as close as I could come to thanking him for pardoning Hannah.

Stamford: Here I dug into the resources the research library had on the Lockwood and Webb families with success. My overnight stay in Stamford was curious at best. The night clerk apparently had inadvertently [I hope] fed a film he was watching to others rooms. Suffice to say it was not for family viewing!

New London: The NL County Historical Society houses a very nice research facility. I worked on my Douglas and Hazen families for the most part. [I was not yet armed with the correct Douglas lineage: William and Sarah. I was still working the William Sr. & Jr. angle.] I visited the Nathan Hale Schoolhouse and the "Antientest Burial Ground" where William Douglas was buried. It had to be interesting to passer-bys to see someone sprawled out on the ground to photograph tombstones.

Photos:

top: The Connecticut State Library, Hartford;
bottom: Hartford Founders Monument

top: John Winthrop Jr. Monument;
bottom: Stamford Historical Society


top: New London's ancient burial ground;
bottom: Nathan Hale Schoolhouse

No comments:

Post a Comment