Friday, April 24, 2015

Adventures in Genealogy: Combining Research with Sightseeing

Some time ago I started to do a series of posts on my "genealogy adventures" over the years. I decided fairly early on to mix genealogy with visiting historic sites and a few museums. A day or two of research, then a day or two of  sightseeing.

I would guess the only exceptions were when I lived in Florida and would drive up to Orlando, Tampa or Sarasota from Arcadia to do research at the public libraries in those cities. Tampa and Sarasota have nice collections. The Orlando/Orange Co. Library has a terrific genealogy division.
Most of my trips to Salt Lake have been exclusively for research. The Salt Lake Institute accounts for 15 of those trips, but I did make 3-4 trips during the 1990s.

I guess one trip counted as the research-sightseeing venture. I covered 14 states! Florida, Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, New Mexico, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee and Georgia. Most of the stops were for food and lodging. The drive through Kentucky was extremely brief. Research? Salt Lake. Sightseeing? The Alamo and John Wayne's movie set in Brackettville, a few Indian pueblos in NM, Monument Valley and Fort Bridger [WY].

The reason to combine research days with sightseeing or other activities? To keep yourself fresh! Too many days of library, court house, cemetery wandering can get to you. Mix in local sites that give you a flavor for your ancestors' home turf and you have a nice bonus. Also if you are traveling with family, it keeps them sane and you alive!

My adventure locales? Scotland, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Illinois, Wisconsin, New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland, Virginia, Massachusetts and Connecticut.

Up first: my slightly misguided trip to Scotland. Check back tomorrow for details!

No comments:

Post a Comment