Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Maryland/Virginia and Indiana Trips and Research: 1996-1997

1996 took me to Maryland and Virginia. My first stop was pure research - the Maryland State Archives. There I did a bit of Prall research. Next was Harford Co., Maryland. I neglected to contact the Historical Society before I left, but lucked out a bit. The Historical Society then was open three days per week, one each for the genealogy library, local history, s and records departments. The staff allowed me to browse all three sections for Prall and Cunningham material. Since York Co., Pennsylvania was just across the state line, I ventured there to see what their Historical Society had on the Pralls. I also checked out the Fawn Grove Cemetery, where members of the family were buried. No luck, guess my line couldn't afford grave markers.

The rest of the trip was pure rest and relaxation. Jefferson's Monticello, Bush Gardens Williamsburg and Colonial Williamsburg.

1997: The first part of my trip was getting back in touch with my hometown and doing research. I visited the old neighborhoods, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and caught up with family and friends in Indianapolis.

I went to the Indiana State Library [mostly obituary research] and the State Archives [land and military records]. I drove up to Hamilton Co. to visit the well-hidden cemetery where Civil War ancestor Aaron Crail was buried.  I went to Danville to research my Faucett ancestors and visited Shiloh Cemetery where John and Eve [Fry] Faucett and Joseph and Rebecca [Hurin] Faucett were buried.

I had trouble locating Joseph and Rebecca. I had wandered the rows where the Faucetts were buried 3-4 times and was about to give up in frustration. As I moped along, the letters R-E-B caught my eye. Yep, there it was! Rebecca's marker. And next to it was that of Joseph. Sneaky ancestors!

From Indy, I settled in at French Lick. I used that southern Indiana town as a base of operations to visit historic Indiana: George Rogers Clark Memorial in Vincennes, Spring Mill State Park, Gus Griisom Memorial, Corydon, and Squire Boone Caverns.

No pix today!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment