Tuesday, April 11, 2023

1950 Census Observations

 Like most genealogists/family historians, I was looking forward to the release of the 1950 census. Tring to maneuver the Enumeration District was a challenge, bit I managed to find most of my birth and adopted family and my wife's family.

Once the indexed images were available, I started the hunt for my birth parents. 

My birth father's identity isn't set in concrete, but a first cousin is fairly sure of which George brother is the most likely candidate. Interestingly enough, all three brothers were living together in Indianapolis. 

The search for my birth mother was a different story. Nada! I knew she had to be in Indianapolis. However, not one search was successful. First name, middle name, last name. 

The story that was passed on to me by cousins is that my birth mother and a couple of brothers or brothers-in-law moved to Indy about 1949-50. I haven't found her brother in the '50 census either.

That leads me to believe that all of Indy hasn't been indexed as of yet.

I did turn to one of my favorite sources, the city directory.  The 1951 City Directory for Indianapolis shows my mother and uncle living in the city. So I know they were there.

Her address is given and her occupation - "helper." That's about as general as you can get! Unfortunately, her place of work is not given.

The waiting game for ALL of the 1950 census to be indexed continues.


No comments:

Post a Comment