Monday, October 30, 2017

Crazy discoveries in genealogical research

In addition to my own genealogy and a handful of "for-hire projects" that I've done over the years, I have also worked on my girlfriend's lineage. Her mother's Chew family was extensively researched several years ago. That Chew line has ties  to Presidents Madison and Taylor. I have looked into a few of the less researched families in the tree. A little research and some accumulated notes have been made available for her father's side. That's where most of my research has been focused.

A few interesting items have surfaced during the research:

1] We share common Howell lineage on her maternal and my paternal side.

2] We also have ties to the Berry family. Elizabeth Berry is my direct ancestor. The daughter of Elizabeth's brother, Joel, married into my girlfriend's Mullins line.

3] Parts of our families followed the same basic migration route. They settled in Virginia, moved on to Kentucky, then to Indiana.

4] In a real twist, my Thomas AND Elizabeth [Berry] Crail are buried in the same cemetery in Pendleton Co., KY as her Thrasher ancestors. There are only 51 graves in the cemetery!

5] We share some of the same heritage: English, Irish and Huguenot.

6] We both have Mayflower lineage.

I have considerably more instances of New England and Mid-Atlantic settlement, as well as German, Dutch and other Western European ancestry.

No comments:

Post a Comment