Saturday, July 19, 2014

Timeline Observations

Preparing timelines for the vast majority of my ancestral families has been interesting, eye-opening & a bit exhausting - but definitely worthwhile!

Interesting: There were many families that I hadn't looked at in years. I was able to revisit those families, brush up on the stories & discover where I needed to renew research on them.

Eye-opening: I was amazed at some of the gaps I had in information. The fact that I had the wrong John Low & wife Elizabeth. [Stodder/Stoddard rather that Howland] was disappointing. Maps really came in handy when details looked fishy.

Exhausting: Quite a few families covered 8-10 generations or so. I thought I'd never get through some of them!

Worthwhile: I was able to locate additional information on a number of families. I need to evaluate what I've uncovered to see how well it is documented & worth adding to my files. There are some other lines I'd like to flesh out a bit more. Just putting the timelines together was worth the effort. They are now available to refer to & use as research tools.

Give this little exercise a try. You can go with major life events, migratory events, births, marriages & deaths; the options are up to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment