Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Report for SLIG on Wednesday

Interesting day! I was directed to a book that contained the records for the London Dutch Church [Austin Friars] and copied the records for Thomas Santken and his sister Lijnken. I then decided to see if there were any books on their spouses' families. There were - one in French and two in Dutch. My HS German might get me through some of the Dutch, but the French is a lost cause! Look for the surnames and hope for the best?

I also battled through the St. Olave, Silver Street records. What a mess! Numerous pages were faded, torn and water-marked and the individual who wrote the records failed handwriting. Had I not had the dates from Jerome Santkens' NEHGS Register article to work from, I'd never have found half of the entries. [Thanks Jerome!] The pages for 1597-1600 marriages were severely damaged. If Christopher married at St. Olave, the record is all but lost.

I also tracked down the source for Thomas St. John's burial record. A trip to the International Records floor was less than productive, but one of the staffers copied the film list for early Belgian's records. Mathias was from Antwerp.

More to do tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment