Thursday, September 2, 2021

Getting Started on the Birth Family Research

 In researching the birth family, I had to decide where to focus my attention after a flurry look-ups on both sides of the family to flesh out the Ancestry tree that was generated for me by the lady at Ged Match who was helping with sorting out my DNA results.

That tree, entitled "A Big Tree," is a work in progress. Records are added that fit and some are removed because they don't match the person to which they are attached. So there may be quite a bit of incorrect information on the tree until I get a chance to check on a particular family and correct it. 

"A Big Tree" is serving as sort of a holding pen for records and documents as I transfer information to my "Everhart-George Tree" on my RootsMagic software program. This is where the fleshed out details will go home to roost. Still, I hope to make the Ancestry tree as accurate as possible.

I decided to make my maternal line the starting point. I have several families "completed," though subject to additions and corrections. The list includes AKERS, ARBUCKLE, BLAND, CLARK, EDDY, EVERHART, GRAHAM, JOHNSTON, MONTGOMERY, ROGERS & RUSSELL.

Akers is still lacking, and needs some onsite research in Washington Co., IN, as does Russell. My Montgomery research has come to a halt until I can manage a trip to Clark Co. for some work there.

A trip to the Indiana State Library derailed the research - indirectly. I managed to find considerably more information on the paternal families of HOGUE, PHILLIPPE & STEFFY than any of my maternal lines.

The next round of posts will follow the stories of my maternal families, unless something pops up of special interest that is worthy of a post. 



No comments:

Post a Comment