Tuesday, September 7, 2021

And I thought this one was going to be simple......

 Have you ever started working on a family that you KNEW was going to be an easy one on which to compile the research? AND it wasn't?

I started working on my Stillwell ancestry the other day. I was familiar with the Stillwell Genealogy from connections to the Billiou family, one of my adopted families. So, I figured to rely on that work to cover the first two Stillwell generations - Lt. Nicholas and Captain Nicholas.

What a terrible idea!  Stillwell researchers and passers-down of family lore have spent the late 19th and early 20th centuries confusing the story of immigrant Lt. Nicholas Stillwell.

Who were his parents? Siblings? When did he leave England and for where? The Netherlands, New Netherland or Virginia? Who was/were his wife/wives? 

These and other questions have multiple answers depending on which Stillwell genealogy you read.

Well, I'm sorting out facts from lore and trying to piece together a solid account of Lt. Nicholas Stillwell. I know the name of the wife of Captain Nicholas is open to debate, but hopefully that will be the only major stumbling block.

Hopefully.........

No comments:

Post a Comment