Monday, November 2, 2015

SLIG 2016 Update / Return to Quirky Ancestors

I submitted my summary, report, research log, family group sheet and pedigree chart for Malcolm MacCallum over the weekend. That sets up things up for the consultants to evaluate my material and prepare a "plan of attack" for January 11-15.

My quirky ancestor theme has been neglected for awhile. This one isn't a case of quirky ancestors as much as quirky filing by the US government, I guess.

2nd great-grandfathers Willis Gulley and Martin Cawby Sr. both served in Lt. Col. John Franciso's regiment of the 17th Kentucky militia. Gulley filed for a pension, which was granted. Cawby did not. Or so it seemed.

Martin Cawby died in 1824. His wife, Susanna, applied for a widow's pension in 1852, but it was never granted. Susanna's application was filed with those from the Revolutionary War rather than the War of 1812.

And you thought the bureaucracy only got out of hand recently!

No comments:

Post a Comment