Sunday, November 29, 2015

A Note on Female Ancestors at Work

I imagine the ladies reading the job lists have asked, "What about female ancestors?"

I only have a handful of references on "regular jobs" taken on by my female ancestors.
Catherine O'Neil came from Ireland in 1852 and taught local Central Indiana farmers to read.
My grandmother, Mayme Faucett, clerked at Vonnegut's Hardware before she got married in 1911.
My mother, Ruthjane McHugh worked as secretary and bookkeeper for her father's tool and die business, spent a few years working at the Naval Ordinance Plant in Indy and handled the paper work for my Dad's Van All Tool and Die.
My great-grandmother, Elizabeth June Cawby Faucett co-owned a millenary shop in Indy for a couple of years.

Otherwise?

Wives and daughters handled the household chores of cooking, cleaning, gardening, soap-making, making and mending clothes and often working in the fields or shops with their husbands. There was also a little item of raising children. Many families had a half-dozen to a dozen kids. Mothers were giving birth about every two years through the late 1800s.

Work? Women? When did they have time?

The post-WWII years changed the women's role in the workplace. Now many share the bread-winning role or have it all to themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment