Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Family History & the Indy 500, the Greatest Spectacle in Racing

I finally made it to the Indy 500, thanks to my girlfriend! So what's that got to do with genealogy, you ask?  Well, here goes!

My maternal grandfather had the first TV in the neighborhood in, I believe, 1946. It had a 6" or 8" screen. Family & friends showed up to watch the race at the McHugh household. My folks last attended the 1948 race. As a kid, during the '60s, we regularly attended Bump Day. Back then it was really Bump Day! There were always a half-dozen or so drivers & car owners scurrying around Pit Road trying to get a deal together for a chance to qualify.

My first vivid memory of the 500 was the 1958 race & the tragic crash that took Pat O'Connor's life. I listened to the radio broadcast every year [even while watching the TV broadcast while living in Florida]. I was glued to the radio when A.J. Foyt, Al Unser, Jr., & Rick Mears won their four 500s. The '64 crash that took Eddie Sachs & Dave McDonald is still vividly implanted in my memory.

In 1962, one of the drivers was supposed to make an appearance at the Walgreen's in Irvington. With a store full of enraged mothers & disappoined kids, the manager called the track after a two hour wait. Rodger Ward was within earshot of the desperate call & volunteered to drive across town to fill-in. He made sure every postcard, racecar & slip of paper was autographed. During the late stages of the race that year, Ward took over the lead & won the 500. He had plenty of bonus fan support!

Sid Collins, Paul Page & others served as the "Voice of the 500."

Finally, my chance to see the race live came, with a call, "We're going to the race."

Wow! Little did I know what I was in for! Jim Nabors returned to sing "Back Home Again in Indiana" after being to ill to make the trip last year. 11 American drivers, 4 women in the field, a home-grown polesitter in Ed Carpenter, two 3-time winners in the field.....

Our seats were across from the last four pits on the main straight away.

We witnessed a record number of lead changes from 2012 double, a third of the field lead the race & a new average speed record was set. And to top it off, the sentimental, hard-luck favorite manuevered his way back into the lead just before the final caution & won the race under yellow. The crowd roared as Tony Kanaan crossed the yard of bricks to take the checkered flag.

What a wild & wacky debut for me at the Brickyard! [Speaking of the Brickyard - I'm attending my 1st NASCAR race this summer as well.]

So the 500 transcends the generations, my grandfather hosting the first televised 500, my parents taking me to Bump Day for 6-7 years running & me finally attending my first 500, a multi-record-breaker with a fan favorite taking the win. Oh, there was a gentleman sitting next to my girlfriend who had brought his granndchildren - he too was sharing his memories of "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing."

P.S. Contrats to Tony Kanaan!!

No comments:

Post a Comment