Saturday, May 4, 2019

St. John Family: Additions, Corrections, Updates, etc.

My revisiting the St. John family is turning up a variety of issues.

[1] The children of Samuel and Rebecca [Olmstead] St. John

[2] Samuel's parentage - AGAIN!

[3] Origin of the St. John family

The latter was to be my focus, but I'll begin at the top of the list. I came across  an article from the March 2002 issue of the Connecticut Nutmegger [Vol. 34, p. 542-547] by Robert W. Hull, CSG #12200, entitled Updating the family of Samuel St. John and Rebecca [Olmstead] St. John: "Love, respect and goodwill" of generous sisters for brothers.

Hull used 1773 land deeds to prove the identity of Samuel and Rebecca. From my own early research, I had the following children for the couple: Samuel, Rebecca, Joanna, Peregrine, Jane, Abigail, Abigail, Noah, Daniel, Job and Ebenezer.

I, and many others, had included Abigail St. John, wife of John Marvin, as a child of Samuel and Rebecca, without sufficient evidence. The fact that the life spans of both Abigails overlapped should have been a red flag.

Hull's article showed 11 children for the couple as well.

Samuel, Rebecca, Joanna, Peregrine, Jane, Abigail, Noah, Sarah, Daniel, Job and Ebenezer.

I will discuss birth order [probably correct here], spouses, birth, marriage and death dates later.

No comments:

Post a Comment