Friday, November 3, 2017

Genealogy-related Dream Vacations: #1 - Cork to Donegal

I have several dream vacations that tie together family history research and site-seeing: Ireland, Wales, England, Scotland, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium and a few other places. Some, England, for example, might take a few months. Others might be just a week or two.

I learned early on to combine research and relaxation on "research trips." A day or two digging through court houses, libraries or archives, should be followed by a visit to local historic sites, museums, etc. That saves wear and tear on eyes and mind. Time permitting, of course!

My first overseas trip would be to Ireland. Two counties at opposite ends of the Emerald Isle would be targeted. County Cork in the south and County Donegal in the north.

Cork would be the first stop. I don't have much to go on with great-great-grandmother Catherine O'Neil. I have a birthdate, two actually. I also have the names of her parents. Beyond that, scant information. My uncle thought the O'Neils lived in a town between Cork and Blarney.

A nice train ride through the Irish countryside to County Donegal would follow Cork research and visiting places that drew my interest. Options? Straight to Donegal via Limerick, Ennis, Galway and Sligo? East to Kilkenney and Dublin, then northwest through Cavan and Enniskillen? To be determined. Research stop in Dublin?

Donegal was the ancestral home of my McHughs. I have birthdates for John and elder brother Daniel, as well as info on Daniel's wife. Hopefully, that would be enough to get me started. Toss in a couple of extra days getting to know the area.

Not a bad trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment