Monday, March 9, 2015

Family Added, Subtracted and Added Again

DOUGLAS: Trusting to others research can sometimes get you into trouble. Those circa 1890-1920 family histories are a wonderful tool, but the information contained therein must be treated with caution! Errors in the early Lockwood genealogy forced me to eliminate about a half-dozen families from my files. [I still have the info in though.] Due to an error in a marriage, it appeared that my Douglas family would vanish from the files as well.

The original Douglas connection was William Sr., William Jr. and Elizabeth, who married  Daniel Dart. The daughter of Elizabeth Douglas and Daniel Dart, Elizabeth Dart married John Hazen.

But, such was not the case! John Hazen actually married Elizabeth Turner, the widow of Thomas Dart and son of Daniel and Elizabeth. Thus ended my connection to the Douglasses, or so I thought. Further research took me back again to William Douglas Sr. His daughter Sarah married John Keeney. Their daughter, Susanna married Ezekiel Turner, father of Elizabeth Turner Dart Hazen. The Douglasses were back in the fold!

William Sr. was probably born in Scotland. He moved to London during the 1630s and settled in Massachusetts between 1640 and 1645. The Douglas clan then moved on to New London, Connecticut in 1660. William died there in 1682.

No comments:

Post a Comment