Thursday, February 27, 2014

Family Stumbling Blocks - Potential Brick Walls

Awhile back I started to post missing information on various families that would fill in some gaps on the family tree. I thought I'd get started on that idea again. I apologize if I'm repeating myself from before.

PRALL: I would have to say one of  my chief stumbling blocks involves the death dates of my great-great-grandparents, Isaac Rittenhouse Prall and Ann Bathia Rhodes. The year of death passed down for Isaac is 1880. No month or day accompanies that year, nor does a location. Isaac accompanied one of his daughters on the move from York Co., PA to Ohio. He appears in the 1870 census in Clinton Co., OH with daughter Ann and her family [Leander Kohler]. The Kohlers were in Paulding Co., OH in 1880, without Isaac. Did he die prior to 1880? He wasn't on the Mortality Schedule for 1880. Did he die in Clinton Co., Paulding Co. or somewhere in between while the family was moving? Where was he buried? Did the family ship his remains back to York Co. to be buried next to Ann or was he laid to rest in Ohio?

Likewise, the date of death of Ann is in question. The year passed down is 1865. The last record I located proving that she was still living was a deed for 8 April 1861. The next record, a deed for 15 February 1865 would have required her signature or mark. It was not there. If Ann died in 1865, then it was probably during January. No cemetery record has been located. My guess is that they couldn't afford a marker or it is long gone!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment