Saturday, October 20, 2012

Reel, Reeder, Crousore, Smith, et. al.

Genealogy can drive you insane - or close to it! The quest for tying the Smith/Crousore families together continues. I think I'm making progress. The Reels and Reeders play into this as the families intermarried.

Elizabeth Reel, who married William Smith, was the daughter of Nicholas Reel, most likely the one who married Amy Reeder. Nicholas was the brother of Solomon Reel who married Susannah Crousore [daughter of Nicholas, sister of  John]. Elizabeth's sister, Margaret Nancy married James Reeder.

The Reel familiy seems to have been in Fayette Co., PA, Harrison Co., (W)VA - and neighboring environs - maybe back to Fayette, Clinton, Highland & Warren Co., OH and Rush Co., IN. [some may have gone on to Delaware Co.] The Reeders, Crousores and Smiths followed similar patterns. Some of the other Reels who didn't go to Indiana, stayed in the Harrison Co., (W)VA area.

Nicholas & Amy [Reeder] Reel had, at least, Margaret Nancy, Solomon, John and Elizabeth.

Solomon & Susannah had at least six kids. Nicholas married Catherine Crousore and Delila married William Reeder.

The four families migrated as a group, or at least caught up with one another as they headed for Indiana.

Nicholas & Solomon appear to be the sons of David Reel Sr. & Willany _______. Possible siblings: David Jr., Benjamin, John, Jacob, Henry, Rudolph & Jane.

If you are confused, join the party!!!

2 comments:

  1. William Heney Reeder and Delilah are my Great Great Great Great grandparents. You provide any more info. Nancy Margaret Reeder married Newton Lightfoot (Isaac Newton Lightfoot) and they had 9 kids. Johnny, Rachel, Elizabeth, Benjamin, Sarah, Rosa( my Great Great grandma), Goldie, Arbra, Lela, Dora, James, and Henery. ok, that's more than 9. But anyways, my Grandma Crites told me Rosa Alice Lightfoot was full blooded Cherokee. Maybe you can help me on my venture...My name is Tessin Crites. My email is soul2soultatts@gmail.com or soul2soultatts@yahoo.com. if you have any info maybe you can send my way. I been Looking into this now for quite a few years now and have yet to find anything in the Native American rolls...please help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tessin,

      My info on the Reeders is limited. My interest is primarily through their ties to the Reel, Crousore and Smith families. The Reeders were likely of western Virginia origin [possibly PA]. The migrated to the Warren/Clinton County area of Ohio, then on to Rush Co., Indiana. I'm not sure where the various kids ended up over the years. The Crousores and Smiths went on to Delaware, Madison, Howard & Tipton Counties in Indiana.

      I'm not familiar with the Lightfoots, but would guess at American Indian or Great Britain ancestry. With the origin of the Reeders being VA or PA, I would doubt any full-blood Indian ancestry. The Lightfoots are another matter. If the family came from the Southeast, Cherokee blood could be possible. 100% is doubtful, I am only guessing.

      Delia Reel married Wm. H. Reeder in 1836 & she died in Mar. 1850. The 1850 census shows 4 children: William H. Jr. [10], Nancy M. [8], Franklin [5] & James O. [2].

      What sources have you checked so far?

      Terry

      Delete